Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya has launched a dispute redressal mechanism named “SAROD-Ports” (Society for Affordable Redressal of Disputes-Ports) to facilitate affordable and timely resolution of disputes for the maritime sector.
- SAROD-Ports will advise and assist in settlement of disputes through arbitrations in the maritime sector, including ports and shipping sector in Major Port Trusts, Non-major Ports, including private ports, jetties, terminals and harbours.
- The mechanism is similar to provision available in the highway sector in the form of SAROD-Roads constituted by NHAI. It has been established under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 for affordable and timely resolution of disputes in a fair manner.
- SAROD-Ports will resolve the disputes in fair and just manner while saving a huge amount of legal expenditure and time.
- SAROD-Ports will inspire confidence among private players working with major ports and will ensure the right kind of environment.
- It will promote ease of doing business in the maritime sector because of the fast, timely, cost-effective and robust dispute resolution mechanism.