Siddaramaiah to be the next Chief Minister of Karnataka
According to reports, Siddaramaiah is set to become the next chief minister of Karnataka, with DK Shivakumar as his deputy. The decision was reached by the Congress party, with both leaders agreeing to a rotational arrangement. Siddaramaiah will serve as the chief minister for a period of 2.5 years, after which Shivakumar will take over the position.
Next Chief Minister of Karnataka: Key Points
- Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge worked late into the night to resolve the political deadlock and reach a consensus on government formation in Karnataka.
- Siddaramaiah, a popular leader, joined the Congress party in 2006 after being expelled from former Prime Minister Deve Gowda’s JD(S).
- In contrast, DK Shivakumar, an eight-time MLA from the Kanakapura constituency, is known for his significant wealth and strong political support.
- The oath-taking ceremony is scheduled to occur in Bengaluru on Saturday, May 20, 2023.
- The Congress party has organized a Congress Legislative Party (CLP) meeting in Bengaluru on Thursday at 7 pm.
- Earlier, Randeep Surjewala, who is in charge of Congress in Karnataka, stated that an announcement regarding the next chief minister of Karnataka will be made either today or tomorrow, and a new cabinet will be formed within 72 hours.
In the Karnataka Assembly Elections 2023, Congress has achieved a significant victory after a span of 34 years. According to the Election Commission’s data, the party secured 136 seats, surpassing the halfway mark of 113, along with a substantial vote share.