Skyroot Aerospace has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bellatrix Aerospace to make use the Orbital Transfer Vehicle, being developed by Bellatrix Aerospace, in the upper stage of Vikram series of launch vehicles, being developed by Skyroot. The vehicle is expected to launch to low earth orbit in 2023 on the Vikram rocket. The vehicle is expected to help global operators reduce time and costs for launching communication and earth observation satellites.
Orbital Transfer Vehicle (OTV)
- It is a spacecraft that can perform various in-orbit operations such deployment of customer payload to precise orbits, allowing a launch vehicle to deliver satellites to more orbits than what was conventionally possible.
- In simple words, OTV is like a ‘taxi in space’ to take small satellites into their operational orbits.
- OTV will offer ride-sharing for small satellites and drop each one of the passengers to their intended slots in space.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Founder and CEO of Skyroot Aerospace: Pawan Kumar Chandana.
- Skyroot Aerospace Founded: 12 June 2018.
- Skyroot Aerospace Headquarters location: Hyderabad.