India, a land of diverse cultures, languages, and landscapes, is also home to a remarkable geographical variety. Goa is the smallest state in India, which carries a significant historical, cultural, and natural legacy. Renowned for its pristine beaches, vibrant nightlife, rich Portuguese heritage, and lush landscapes, Goa stands as a testament to the adage “Great things come in small packages.” In this article, we will learn interesting facts about the smallest state in India, Goa, and the list of smallest states in India by population and area.
Smallest States of India List by Area
Goa is the smallest state in terms of area which covers an area of about 3,702 sq. km, followed by Sikkim, Tripura, Nagaland, and Mizoram.
Here is the list of the smallest states of India:
|S. No.||State||Area (sq. km)|
Interesting Facts about the Smallest State of India, Goa
Some of the interesting facts about the smallest state, Goa are as follows:
- Goa is India’s smallest state, covering just 3,702 sq. km.
- Its coastline stretches for 105 km along the Arabian Sea.
- Goa was a Portuguese colony for over 400 years, leading to a unique blend of Indian and European Cultures.
- The Basilica of Bom Jesus in Goa houses the remains of St. Francis Xavier and showcases intricate Baroque architecture.
- Goa’s Carnival, a legacy of its Portuguese past, is a vibrant pre-Lenten festival celebrated with colorful processions and music.
- Goa is renowned for its palm-fringed beaches, including popular spots like Baga, Anjuma, and Palolem.
- Dudhsagar Waterfalls, located in the state, is one of India’s highest waterfalls and a popular tourist attraction.
- Goa is home to the Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary, housing diverse wildlife including tigers and panthers.
- The state is known for its cashew plantations and the production of feni, a traditional liquor made from cashew apples.
- Sustainable tourism efforts are being promoted to preserve Goa’s natural beauty and cultural heritage amidst its popularity as a tourist destination.
Smallest States in India by Population
India’s smallest state in terms of population is Sikkim with a population of 610,577.
Here is the list of India’s smallest states in terms of population: