The Elephant Whisperers wins Oscar Award for Best Documentary Short
The Elephant Whisperers, a Netflix documentary short from Kartiki Gonsalves and Guneet Monga, has won the 95th Academy Awards‘ Best Documentary Short award. The movie was up against ‘Stranger At The Gate’, ‘Haulout’, and ‘How Do You Measure a Year?’ The award is an honour of “my motherland, India,” said director Gonzalves.
The Elephant Whisperers: About
● The 41-minute short documentary, which was produced by Achin Jain and Guneet Monga and was directed by Kartiki Gonsalves, centres on a Tamil Nadu family who adopts two orphaned baby elephants from the Mudumalai Tiger Reserve.
● This India-themed short was noteworthy since it served as director Gonsalves’ directing debut.
● An orphaned elephant calf named Raghu is taken care of by an indigenous couple named Bomman and Belli in the story The Elephant Whisperers, which is set in the Mudumalai National Park.
● Both the surrounding natural beauty and the relationship that grows between them highlighted in the documentary.
● The Elephant Whisperers became available on Netflix in December 2022.
The Elephant Whisperers: All Nominations for India
For the 95th Academy Awards, India received a total of three nominations: for Best Original Song (RRR’s “Naatu Naatu”), Best Documentary Feature Film (Shaunak Sen’s All That Breathes), and Best Documentary Short (Kartiki Gonsalves-directed The Elephant Whisperers).
The Elephant Whisperers: Who all were in the race of winners?
● In addition to Haulout, The Martha Mitchell Effect, Stranger At The Gate, and How Do You Measure A Year, there were four more candidates in this category.
● The House That Ananda Built and An Encounter With Faces, which competed for Best Documentary Short in 1969 and 1979, respectively, The Elephant Whisperers is the first Indian movie to win an Oscar in this category. It was the third film to receive a nomination.
Who all Indian Nominations won Oscar 2023 award?
In addition to The Elephant Whisperers, the internationally popular Naatu Naatu from SS Rajamouli’s blockbuster RRR won the Best Original Song award, and All That Breathes, directed by Shaunak Sen, was nominated for the Best Documentary Feature Film award, which was won by Navalny.
India is having an Oscar moment this year. As an added bonus, actress Deepika Padukone, the third Indian celebrity to present at the Oscars after Priyanka Chopra and Persis Khambatta, joined all of the candidates at the ceremony. She gave a stage introduction to the live Naatu Naatu performance.
Oscar 2023: Award Highlights
- Jimmy Kimmel presided over the Oscars at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles for the third time.
- The awards for Best Picture, Best Actress for Michelle Yeoh, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor for Ke Huy Quan went to Everything Everywhere All At Once.
- Brendan Fraser was awarded Best Actor for The Whale.