The Press Information Bureau (PIB) is a government agency that releases news and information about the activities of the Indian government. On July 7, 2023, the PIB released a number of important news items, including the India & Panama signs MoU, Aatmanirbhar Bharat, NCC Integrated Software for Cadets. This news analysis will provide a brief overview of each of these news items and discuss their implications. The analysis will also highlight some of the other important news items that were released by the PIB on July 7, 2023. Additionally, it will highlight other important announcements made by the PIB on the same day.
Top Press Information Bureau (PIB) News of the day:
1. PM lays foundation stone and dedicates to nation various development projects worth around Rs 7500 crores in Raipur
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone and dedicated to the nation various development projects worth around Rs 7500 crores in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. He dedicated and laid the foundation stone for 5 National Highway projects worth around Rs 6,400 crores.
- The Prime Minister also dedicated to the nation the doubling of 103 km long Raipur – Khariar Road Rail Line which has been completed at a cost of Rs 750 crores, a 17 km long new railway line connecting Keoti – Antagarh developed at a cost of Rs 290 crores. Further, the Prime Minister dedicated to the nation a bottling plant of the Indian Oil Corporation with a capacity of 60 thousand metric ton per annum at Korba constructed at a cost of over Rs 130 crores. He also flagged off Antagarh – Raipur Train via video link. Further, the Prime Minister initiated the distribution of 75 lakh cards to the beneficiaries under the Ayushman Bharat.
2. India & Panama signs MoU on Electoral Cooperation
- The Election Commission of India and Electoral Tribunal (ET) of Panama signed a Memorandum of Understanding in Panama City to establish the institutional framework for their ongoing cooperation in the field of election management and administration.
- A three member ECI delegation led by Chief Election Commissioner of India Shri Rajiv Kumar held interactions with Presiding Magistrate, Electoral Tribunal of Panama Mr. Alfredo Juncá Wendehake on strengthening collaboration and knowledge exchange between the two Election Management Bodies (EMBs). Mr. Eduardo Valdes Escoffery, first vice presidential magistrate and Mr. Luis A. Guerra Morales, second vice presidential magistrate, ET of Panama were also present.
3. NLC India Ltd bags GeM Award in “Timely Payments (CPSEs)” Category for 2023
- NLC India Limited, a navratna company under the Ministry of Coal, bagged GeM award in the category “Timely Payments (CPSEs)” for the year 2023 for its outstanding contribution in improving the reliability of e-market practices in line with the vision of GeM. NLCIL registered and on-boarded in GeM portal in the year 2017.
- NLCIL’s growth in GeM procurement started from a small value of Rs 2.21 crore during the year 2018-19 and the company has registered an impressive growth of Rs 984.93 crore during the year FY 2022-23. Government e-Marketplace GeM is a dedicated e-Market service platform, a National public procurement portal, governed by Government of India for marketing different goods and services. To promote the power market in line with GEM’s vision of transparent, inclusive and efficient public procurement in India, awards are being presented by the Government of India.
4. Aatmanirbhar Bharat: MoD & HAL sign Rs 458 crore contract for two upgraded Dornier Aircraft for Indian Coast Guard
- Ministry of Defence signed, in New Delhi on July 07, 2023, a contract with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for procurement of two Dornier Aircraft for Indian Coast Guard (ICG) along with associated Engineering Support package at an overall cost of Rs 458.87 crore.
- The aircraft will be procured under the Buy (Indian) Category. The aircraft will be fitted with a number of advanced equipment viz., Glass Cockpit, Maritime Patrol Radar, Electro Optic Infra-Red device, Mission Management System etc. The addition will further bolster the aerial surveillance capability of maritime areas of responsibilities of the ICG. The Dornier aircraft are being indigenously manufactured at HAL (Transport Aircraft Division), Kanpur and will significantly contribute in achieving Aatmanirbharta in defence, in consonance with the ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Government.
5. Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh launches a single window NCC Integrated Software for Cadets
- In a major step towards promoting digitisation and in sync with Digital India mission, Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh launched an NCC Integrated Software in New Delhi on 07 July 2023. The NCC Integrated Software, developed in partnership with Bhaskaracharya Institute for Space Applications and Geo Informatics (BISAG), is a single window interactive software for Cadets, designed on the ‘Entry to Exit Model’.
- The NCC Integrated Software is based on the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s vision of “Once a Cadet always a cadet”, and will digitalize the entire process from the stage of enrolment as a cadet in NCC till exit registration as alumni. This will enable seamless issue of certificates, creation of an all India database of NCC cadets at the time of their employment.