The Union Government approved the draft Digital Personal Data Bill and come before Parliament in the monsoon season. Sources in the government said the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology received and considered 21,666 suggestions to the draft bill that have been circulated for comments in November, 2022.
Digital Personal Data Protection Bill 2023
- Draft Digital Personal Data Protection Bill approved by the Union government and it’s paving the way to be introduced in the monsoon season of the Parliament.
- Six years after the Supreme Court declared privacy as a fundamental right, the law will become India’s core data governance framework.
- Digital Personal Data Protection Bill (DPDP Bill) in one of the four proposed legislations in the IT and Telecom sectors to provide the framework for the rapidly growing digital ecosystem.
- This bill empowers the Data Protection Board (DPB) to levy a penalty of up to Rs.250 crore on the organizations found to be in breach.
- The penalty levied on organization that are in breach can be increased up to Rs.500 crore with cabinet approval and there is no requirement of any amendment in the law to increase the penalty.
- In Digital Personal Data Protection bill, there is a provision to form a Data Protection Board to monitor the provisions of the Act.
- All online and offline data will fall under the legal domains of this bill.
- The drafted bill aims to provide consent based data collection technique.
History of Digital Personal Data Protection Bill
- In 2019: Centre revised draft of the Personal Data Protection Bill with the recommendation from Sri Krishna Committee Report.
- In December, 2019: Personal Data Protection Bill, 2019 sent to the Joint Parliamentary Committee for review from both the houses.
- In December, 2021: The Joint Parliamentary Committee, after 2 years shared its report with a new version of the – Data Protection Bill, 2021.
- In August 2022: Minister of Communication and IT, Ashwini Vaishnaw, granted permission to withdraw the draft DPB (Data Protection Bill), 2021.
- In November 2022: Meity releases the draft Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2022 for public consultations.
- July 5,2023: Cabinet approves DPDP Bill to be tables in Monsoon Season (July20-August11) of Parliament.