First Super Magnets in the World for testing in nuclear plant
Oxford-based Tokamak Energy created a new generation of high temperature superconducting (HTS) magnets and are being manufactured and tested in situations that are pertinent to fusion power plants. Strong magnetic fields are needed to contain and manage the extremely hot, positively-charged hydrogen fuel, which creates a plasma several times hotter than the sun, in order to produce clean, sustainable fusion energy.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
First Super Magnets for testing in nuclear plant: Key Points
● The brand-new Demo4 facility from Tokamak Energy will include 44 distinct magnetic coils made up of 38 kilometres of ground-breaking HTS tape, which carries currents with no electrical resistance and uses five times less cooling power than conventional superconducting materials.
● Nearly a million times stronger than the magnetic field of the Earth, Demo4’s magnetic field will have a strength of over 18 Tesla.
● The advanced prototype, ST80-HTS, and following fusion power plant, ST-E1, will get full construction at Tokamak Energy’s headquarters in Milton Park, close to Oxford, this year, and testing will continue into 2024.
● Demo4 will include a cage-like structure made of 14 toroidal field (TF) limbs, two poloidal field coil stacks, and other components.
● It will need to be tested at minus 253 C, which is merely 20 degrees above absolute zero.
About Super Magnets for testing in nuclear plant built by Tokamak Energy
- Large electrical currents are carried through arrays of electromagnet coils that will surround the plasma in future power plants to produce powerful magnetic fields.
- Modern HTS tapes, which are multi-layered conductors mostly constructed of strong and conductive metals with a vital interior coating of “rare earth barium copper oxide” (REBCO) superconducting material, are used to precisely wind the magnets.
- The tapes are typically 12 mm wide and less than 0.1 mm thick, and they have a thin covering of REBCO that is no thicker than a human hair.