Indian Information Service officer, Vasudha Gupta was appointed as the director general of the news services division of All India Radio. Gupta, who was director general in the Press Information Bureau, assumed charge of her new post immediately. All India Radio Director General N Venudhar Reddy superannuated.
Gupta played a key role in implementing the communication strategies of the government during the COVID-19 pandemic and also helmed the fact-checking unit to curb misinformation about the viral outbreak.
Rajesh Malhotra, Director General in the Press Information Bureau (PIB), was promoted to the rank of Principal Director General. Malhotra will continue to look after the publicity works of the finance ministry in the PIB.
Who is Vasudha Gupta?
- A 1989-batch officer, Gupta has served in various capacities in the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting in her over a 32-year career. Gupta earned her degree in law from Chaudhary Charan Singh University and later was awarded an M.Phil degree by the Delhi School of Economics.
- She did her PhD in Banking and Financial Support services from the Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi.
- Gupta had done stints in All India Radio and was instrumental in the automation of the newsroom for regional news units.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- All India Radio Founded: 1936, Delhi;
- All India Radio Founder: Government of India;
- All India Radio Headquarters: Sansad Marg, New Delhi;
- All India Radio Owner: Prasar Bharati.