The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) in India has initiated the Vigilance Awareness Week 2023, which will run from October 30 to November 5, 2023. The theme for this year’s awareness week is “Say no to corruption; commit to the Nation,” or “भ्रष्टाचार का विरोध करें; राष्ट्र के प्रति समर्पित रहें” emphasizing the significance of opposing corruption and dedicating oneself to the welfare of the nation. The week commenced with the administration of the integrity pledge to CVC officials, setting the tone for a campaign focused on preventive vigilance measures.
Vigilance Awareness Week 2023 serves as a crucial platform for reinforcing the nation’s commitment to combating corruption and promoting integrity. With a well-defined theme, an integrity pledge ceremony, and a comprehensive set of preventive vigilance measures, the Central Vigilance Commission is taking significant steps to create a corruption-free environment. The week’s activities aim to raise awareness, build capacity, and strengthen the nation’s resolve to say no to corruption and stay dedicated to the welfare of the nation.
The Integrity Pledge Ceremony
The Vigilance Awareness Week 2023 began with a significant event – the administration of the integrity pledge. Shri Praveen Kumar Srivastava, Central Vigilance Commissioner, and Shri Arvinda Kumar, Vigilance Commissioner, led this ceremony. The pledge-taking event occurred at 11 a.m. at Satarkata Bhawan in New Delhi, signifying the commitment to upholding integrity and combatting corruption at all levels.
Preventive Vigilance Measures
In preparation for Vigilance Awareness Week 2023, the Central Vigilance Commission issued a directive detailing a three-month campaign period from August 16, 2023, to November 15, 2023. During this time, various preventive vigilance measures are to be implemented as the focal areas by all Ministries, Departments, and Organizations. These measures include:
- Awareness building about Public Interest Disclosure and Protection of Informers (PIDPI) Resolution: Encouraging the reporting of corrupt activities and ensuring the protection of informers who expose such activities.
- Capacity Building Programs: Enhancing the skills and knowledge of officials to effectively address and prevent corruption.
- Identification and Implementation of Systemic Improvement Measures: Identifying weaknesses in existing systems and implementing improvements to prevent corruption.
- Leveraging IT for Complaint Disposal: Utilizing technology to streamline the process of handling complaints related to corruption.
- Updation of Circulars/Guidelines/Manuals: Ensuring that all official guidelines and manuals are up-to-date and in alignment with the latest anti-corruption protocols.
Disposal of Complaints Received Before 30.06.23: Resolving pending complaints received prior to June 30, 2023.
Panel Discussion on Disciplinary Proceedings:
As part of Vigilance Awareness Week 2023, the CVC has scheduled a panel discussion on Disciplinary Proceedings to take place on November 2, 2023. This discussion is expected to shed light on the processes and measures in place to hold individuals accountable for corrupt practices and misconduct.