World Athletics Championship 2022
Neeraj Chopra continues to create history as he won the silver medal in the men’s Javelin throw event in the World Athletics Championship 2022. In his fourth attempt, he managed to record a throw of 88.13m, with this historic performance he became the only second Indian Athlete to win a medal at World Championship, after Anju Bobby George who won a bronze medal in Long Jump at the 2003 World Championship held in Paris. Former President Ram Nath Kovind congratulated Neeraj Chopra for bringing glory to the country, with this Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur also congratulated him on his win. Anurag Singh Thakur specially mentioned in his tweet that Neeraj Chopra has won a medal at every Global event he participated in.
During the event, his start was a bit off, as his first throw was a foul throw, in his second attempt he managed to record a throw of 82.39m, followed by his third attempt of 86.37m and his fourth and final attempt was 88.13m. He was awarded the silver medal as the gold medal was bagged by Anderson Peters who recorded a throw of 90.54m in his final attempt before Neeraj. Meanwhile, the bronze medal was bagged by Czech Republic’s Jakub Vadlejch.
Neeraj Chopra: About
|Born||24 December 1997|
|School||DAV High School, Chandigarh,|
|College||Lovely Professional University|
|Sports||Track and Field|
|Awards||Param Vishisht Seva, Vishisht Seva Medal|
Neeraj Chopra: Personal Life
Neeraj Chopra was born on 24 December 1997 in Haryana. His father is a farmer and his mother is a housewife. He is the only son in his family along with his two sisters. He completed his schooling at Dayanand Anglo-Vedic college and to pursue his Bachelor of Arts degree he took admitted to Lovely Professional University. Along with sports Neeraj Chopra serves in the Indian Army as a Junior Commissioned officer.
Neeraj Chopra: Athletic Career
- In 2013 Neeraj Chopra participated in his first international athletics event in Ukraine as World Youth championships.
- In 2014 he participated in youth Olympics qualification where he won a silver medal by recording a throw of 70m.
- In 2017 he participated in the Asian Athletic Championship where he achieved a gold medal.
- In the 2018, Commonwealth Games he won a gold medal and became the first Indian player to win in Commonwealth games.
- In 2020 he participated in the Tokyo Olympics, a remarkable success in Neeraj Chopra’s career.
- On 4th August 2021, Neeraj Chopra made his debut at the Olympics representing India in the Japan National stadium.
- Neeraj Chopra won the gold medal in the final event on 7th August by recording a throw of 87.58 m in his second attempt and became the first Indian Olympian to win a gold medal in athletics.
- Neeraj Chopra also became the second Indian to win an individual Olympic gold medal after Abhinav Bindra.
FAQs Related to Neeraj Chopra
1. What is the speciality of Neeraj Chopra?
Ans. Neeraj Chopra is into track and field athletics. He specializes in the javelin throw.
2. What is Neeraj Chopra’s highest throw?
Ans. The highest throw of Neeraj Chopra was recorded at the Indian Grand Prix in 2021 with a throw of 88.07m.
3. What is the Indian record in javelin throw?
Ans. Indian national javelin throw is recorded by Neeraj Chopra. He broke his record by recording a throw of 88.07 m at the Indian Grand Prix 3 2021.