The World Health Organization (WHO) has marked 5 May as World Hand Hygiene Day. This day is recognising the role clean and safe hands play in warding off many serious infections. It is also known as Hand Hygiene Day.
2020 Campaign Objectives
The theme of the campaign is “SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands”. The main goal of the Global Hand Hygiene Day campaign is to recognize that handwashing is one of the most effective actions you can take to reduce the spread of pathogens and prevent infections, including the COVID-19 virus. Health workers and community members alike can play a role in preventing infections by practising regular and frequent handwashing.
Under the 2020 campaign, WHO and partners aim to:
- Make hand hygiene a global priority
- Inspire hand hygiene and behaviour change
- Engage with health care workers in their role in clean care and the prevention of infections.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Director-General of the World Health Organization: Tedros Adhanom.
- Headquarters of WHO: Geneva, Switzerland.