Every year, World Lung Cancer Day is observed on 01st August to raise awareness about the causes and treatment of lung cancer and highlight the issues of lack of sufficient research funding for the ailment. Lung cancer is one of the leading causes of cancer deaths among men and women.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
World Lung Cancer Day: History
The campaign was first organised in 2012 by the Forum of International Respiratory Societies (FIRS), in collaboration with the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) and also the American College of Chest Physicians. The IASLC is the largest organisation in the world of its kind that only deals with lung cancer.
Lung cancer can be broadly classified into two main types:
- Small cell lung cancers (SCLC)
- Non-small lung cancers (NSCLS
Most common symptoms of Lung Cancer:
- Lung cancer causes pain in the chest and ribs.
- The most common symptom includes coughing which can be chronic, dry, with phlegm or blood.
- It can cause fatigue and loss of appetite.
- Lung cancer increases the risk of respiratory infections, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
- Other common symptoms include weight loss, hoarseness, swollen lymph node, and weakness.
How to prevent lung cancer?
- Quit smoking.
- Avoid second-hand smoking.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid any kind of exposure to toxic chemicals.