World Pneumonia Day is observed across the world on November 12 every year to raise awareness, promote prevention and treatment and produce action to combat the disease. World Pneumonia Day 2021 is an annual event that was first celebrated in the year 2009.
To end the preventable burden of childhood pneumonia and deaths there is a need to:
- Raise awareness about pneumonia, the leading killer of young children.
- Strengthen, accelerate and sustain interventions to prevent and treat pneumonia.
- Focus on equitable access to, and delivery of comprehensive pneumonia prevention and control programs.
- Design specific strategies to reach the “harder-to-reach” populations to improve their accessibility to available interventions.
- Conduct research to develop innovative strategies to reduce the burden of pneumonia.
World Pneumonia Day history:
The day was celebrated on November 12 in 2009 by the Global Coalition against Child Pneumonia. Since then the day has provided an annual forum for the world in standing together against the disease. The day is celebrated all over the world through various events and activities related to Pneumonia.