The Norwegian Coastal Administration has received the green signal to start working on the construction of the world’s first tunnel, being built exclusively for ships. The tunnel is dubbed as “Stad Ship Tunnel” and would be built under the mountainous Stadhavet peninsula in northwestern Norway.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About the Tunnel:
- The 1.7 km tunnel will be able to handle ships of up to 16,000 tonnes and give ships a safer passage through the treacherous Stadhavet Sea.
- The tunnel will be 49 metres (161 ft) high and 36 metres (118 ft) wide.
- It is estimated to cost at least 2.8 billion Norwegian kroner (NZ$460 million) the construction of this ship tunnel.
- The construction would begin in 2022 and would take three to four years to complete.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Norway Currency: Norwegian krone.
- Norway Capital: Oslo.
- Prime Minister of Norway: Erna Solberg.