First-ever India-European Union (EU) Security and Defence Consultations held in Brussels, Belgium. The consultations were held in accordance with the decision taken at India-EU Summit in July 2020. Consultations were co-chaired by Joint secretary of Ministry of Defence Somnath Ghosh and Joint Secretary (Europe West) of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Sandeep Chakravorty from India and Director Security and Defence Policy, from European Union.
During the consultations:
- Discussions covered the evolving security situation in Europe, Indo-Pacific and India’s neighbourhood. Both the sides noted number of positive developments in security and defence cooperation area in recent years.
- The Maritime Security Dialogue met in February 2022, for the second time. First-ever joint naval exercises between India and EU were held in June 2021.
- The two sides also discussed various means of increasing India-EU cooperation on maritime security, implementation of the European code of conduct on arms export to India’s neighbourhood, cooperation in co-development and co-production of defence equipment including India’s participation in Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO).
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- European Union Founded: 1 November 1993, Maastricht, Netherlands;
- European Union Headquarters: Brussels;
- President of the European Union Commission: Ursula von der Leyen;
- President of the European Union Parliament: Roberta Metsola;
- President of the European Council: Charles Michel.