Malaysia Open Super 1000 titles
Akane Yamaguchi and Viktor Axelsen won the Malaysia Open Super 1000 Badminton women’s and men’s singles titles in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Yamaguchi, the reigning world champion, registered a come-from-behind win over world no. 4 An Se Young to clinch the Super Series Premier title. Yamaguchi won her maiden Super Series Premier title at the China Open in 2017.
The men’s singles final saw a repeat of last month’s World Tour Finals. Axelsen, the regaining Olympic and world champion, won the Malaysia Open title in straight games, beating Japanese youngster Kodai Naraoka in 40 minutes. This was Axelsen’s ninth Super Series Premier title and third Malaysia Open crown.
Other winners in different categories:
- China’s Chen Qingchen-Jia Yifan, the world no. 1 pairing in women’s doubles, blew away South Korea’s Baek Hana-Lee Yulim 21-16, 21-10 in 52 minutes.
- In mixed doubles, the world no. 1 pairing of Zheng Siwei-Huang Yaqiong, carrying on their last season’s dominating display, claimed the season’s first Super Series Premier title.
You may also read this:
- Viacom18 bagged Women’s IPL media rights for Rs 951 cr for next 5 years
- India defeat Sri Lanka and sets world record of biggest win in terms of runs
- Virat Kohli becomes fifth highest run scorer in ODI cricket