An Indian official has been selected as vice-chairperson of the International Telecommunication Union’s (ITU) Council Standing Committee on Administration and Management, giving India a leadership position. Ms Aprajita Sharma, an IP&TAF Service officer, has been appointed vice-chair of the Standing Committee on Administration and Management at the International Telecommunication Union’s Council sessions in Geneva from March 21 to March 31, 2022.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
- Aprajita will continue to serve as vice-chairperson of the Council Standing Committee in 2023 and 2024, and as chairman in 2025 and 2026.
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations’ information and communication specialised organisation. The Plenipotentiary Conference and the Administrative Council manage the ITU.
- The Union’s top organ is the Plenipotentiary Conference. It is the decision-making body that determines the Union’s and its operations’ direction.
- During the time between Plenipotentiary Conferences, the Council serves as the Union’s governing body.
- Its objective is to examine broad telecommunication policy issues in order to guarantee that the Union’s actions, policies, and initiatives are adequately responsive to today’s dynamic and fast-changing telecoms environment.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Telecommunication Union Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland;
- International Telecommunication Union Founded: 17 May 1865;
- International Telecommunication Union Secretary-General: Houlin Zhao.