An Indian official has been selected as vice-chairperson of the International Telecommunication Union’s (ITU) Council Standing Committee on Administration and Management, giving India a leadership position. Ms Aprajita Sharma, an IP&TAF Service officer, has been appointed vice-chair of the Standing Committee on Administration and Management at the International Telecommunication Union’s Council sessions in Geneva from March 21 to March 31, 2022.
- Aprajita will continue to serve as vice-chairperson of the Council Standing Committee in 2023 and 2024, and as chairman in 2025 and 2026.
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is the United Nations’ information and communication specialised organisation. The Plenipotentiary Conference and the Administrative Council manage the ITU.
- The Union’s top organ is the Plenipotentiary Conference. It is the decision-making body that determines the Union’s and its operations’ direction.
- During the time between Plenipotentiary Conferences, the Council serves as the Union’s governing body.
- Its objective is to examine broad telecommunication policy issues in order to guarantee that the Union’s actions, policies, and initiatives are adequately responsive to today’s dynamic and fast-changing telecoms environment.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- International Telecommunication Union Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland;
- International Telecommunication Union Founded: 17 May 1865;
- International Telecommunication Union Secretary-General: Houlin Zhao.