Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has won the Israeli national election, securing a record fifth term in office, after a controversial power-sharing deal with rival-turned-partner Benny Gantz. President Reuven Rivlin officially granted Netanyahu, two-week mandate to form his government, following which, Netanyahu announced the formation of his coalition government on 17 May 2020.
Under the three-year coalition deal:
- Netanyahu will serve as Prime Minister for the coming 18 months, which would keep him in power until November 13, 2021.
- Till then Benny Gantz will serve as the Defence Minister of the country.
- After 18 months, both of them will swap their roles and Netanyahu will become Defence Minister while Gantz will be the new Prime Minister.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Capital of Israel: Jerusalem.
- The currency of Israel: Israeli shekel.