Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Bhupender Yadav launched the ‘Save Wetlands Campaign’ in the presence of the Chief Minister of Goa. This campaign is structured on a “whole of society” approach to wetlands conservation, enabling affirmative actions for wetlands conservation at all levels of society and involving all strata of society.
This campaign over the next year will include sensitizing people to the value of wetlands, increasing the coverage of wetland mitras, and building citizen partnerships for wetlands conservation.
Bhupender Yadav Launched ‘Save Wetlands Campaign’ For Wetland Conservation- Key Points
- Two publications were also released during the occasion, ‘India’s 75 Amrit Dharohar- India’s Ramsar Sites Factbook’ and ‘Managing Climate Risks in Wetlands – A Practitioner’s Guide.
- The factbook is a one-stop resource of information on the 75 Ramsar Sites, including their values, threats they face, and management arrangements.
- The practitioner’s Guide on Climate Risk Assessment provides step-wise guidance on assessing the site-level climate risks and integration of adaptation and mitigation responses into the wetland management plan.
- Bhupendra Yadav interacted with wetlands managers of states and heard their experiences about achievements and challenges. He highlighted the critical role played by the wetland ecosystem in securing ecological, economic, and climate security.
- He also mentioned various green initiatives taken by the Government in the budget 2023 under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi including Amrit Dharohar, MISHTI, PM PRANAM, Green credit, and Green Growth aligned with Mission Life.
- He also highlighted the achievements of the country in the last about 9 years under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi during which the country has not only developed economically but also with ecological balance.