The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) was formed on 7 May 1960, with the primary goal of securing India’s borders and developing infrastructure in remote areas of India’s north and northeastern states. On 7 May 2021 BRO celebrated its 61st Raising Day (foundation day).
- It is a leading road construction agency under the Ministry of Defence.
- Its primary role is to provide road connectivity in India’s border areas. It also creates upgrades and maintains infrastructure along borders to meet India’s overall tactical and strategic goals.
- Apart from road construction it also executes maintenance works along Northern and Western frontiers mainly to meet strategic requirements of the Indian Army. It is responsible for over 53,000 Km roads.
- Its work involves Formation Cutting, Surfacing, Bridge construction and Resurfacing.
- It contributes towards India’s strategic objectives in neighbouring regions by constructing roads in friendly foreign nations like Afghanistan, Bhutan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Nepal.
- Disaster management: It has played important role in reconstruction work after the tsunami in Tamil Nadu in 2004, the Kashmir earthquake in 2005, the Ladakh flash floods in 2010 etc.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Director-General of BRO: Lt. Gen. Rajeev Chaudhary;
- BRO Headquarters: New Delhi;
- BRO Founded: 7 May 1960.