The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has launched a multi-phase ‘Operation Garuda’. Operation Garuda will help to disrupt, degrade, and dismantle networks with international linkages through the rapid exchange of criminal intelligence on drug trafficking and coordinated law enforcement action across international jurisdictions through Interpol.
Key Points related to Operation Garuda
- Operation Garuda is a Global Operation that was initiated in close coordination with Interpol and Narcotics Control Bureau.
- Operation Garuda was initiated to combat the smuggling of illicit drugs and psychotropic substances, with a special focus on the Indian Ocean Region.
- The CBI and the NCB have been closely coordinating with all the states and UTs police agencies for information exchange, analysis, and development of Operational Information.
- Across multiple states of India several arrests, searches, and seizures were carried out under Operation Garuda.
- In this operation apart from CBI and NCB, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Delhi, and Manipur also participated in Operation Garuda.
- During this special operation, 6600 suspects were checked, 127 new cases were registered, and 175 persons including six absconder’s offenders were arrested.