Department of Drinking water and sanitation (DDWS), Ministry of Jal Shakti celebrated Swachh Bharat Diwas (SBD) on 2nd October 2022. The Swachh Bharat Diwas is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The Swachh Bharat Diwas is inspired by one of the quotes of the father of the nation, “Cleanliness is next to godliness”.
Key Points related to Swachh Bharat Diwas
- Swachh Bharat Mission draws its strength from the people who made it into a Jan Andolan ensuring Sampoorna Swachhta or complete sanitation.
- The Swachh Bharat Diwas was a day-long event which was organized by the Department at Vigyan Bhawan.
- Smt Droupadi Murmu was the Chief Guest of the event along with the Union Minister of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Sh. Girija Singh, Union Minister of Jal Shakti, Sh. Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Sh. Prahlad Singh Patel, Minister of State for Jal Shakti and Food Processing Industry, and Sh. Bishweswar Tudu, Minister of State for Jal Shakti and Tribal Affairs.
- The DDWA implemented two flagship central government programs, the Swacch Bharat Mission and the Jal Jeevan Mission.
- During the event, the President of India was presented with the Swacch Survekshan Grameen 2022 report by Union Kal Shakti Minister.
- The department also launched two campaigns, one was Retrofit to Twin Pit Abhiyan and the other one is Swacch Jal se Suraksha.