The Telangana government issued an order to increase the reservation for the Scheduled Tribe communities from 6 percent to 10 percent. The order issued by the Tribal Welfare Department informed that the enhanced reservations would apply in the educational institutions and to services under the state government with immediate effect.
Key Points related to Hike in ST Quota in Telangana
- In 2017, the Telangana Assembly passed a bill enhancing the reservation of the ST population to 10 percent.
- In the same year, the bill was sent to the Government of India for the assent of the President.
- After six years it was still pending despite several representations from the state government.
- The state government ordered to enhance the reservation to be brought to force with immediate effect.
- The latest order has increased the reservation for various sections in the state up to 54 percent.
- Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has announced the increase of the ST Quota to 10 percent.
- The reservation report, highlights the fact that the ST population has risen more compared to others since 1986 when 6 percent reservation was announced.