The Harvard Law School Center on the Legal Profession (HLS CLP) has announced Chief Justice of India Dr. DY Chandrachud as the 2022 recipient of its “Award for Global Leadership” in recognition of his lifetime service to the legal profession in India and across the world. The award will be presented to him in a virtual event on 11th January 2023.
CJI DY Chandrachud to be Conferred with “Award for Global Leadership” – Key Points
- Professor David Wilkins of Harvard Law School will have a conversation with Chief Justice Dr. DY Chandrachud at the event.
- The “Award for Global Leadership” is the Centre’s highest Professional Honor.
- The Centre brings together leading academics, legal practitioners, and thought leaders to honor and recognize individuals whose achievements have been impactful to the legal profession.
- Professor Wilkins has praised India and Justice Chandrachud’s contribution to issues such as the mental health and well-being of lawyers.
- The last recipients include Ambassador Samantha Power, Former US Permanent Representative to the United Nations and current Director of the Agency for International Development; Brad Smith, Vice Chair of Microsoft, and Kenneth Frazier, former Chair and CEO of Merck.
- Chief Justice Chandrachud, took oath as the Chief Justice of India in November 2022. He holds an LLM and an SJD from Harvard Law School.
About Dr. DY Chandrachud
Dhananjaya Yashwant Chandrachud is an Indian judge who is currently serving as the 50th Chief Justice of India. He is the former ex-officio executive chairman of the National Legal Services Authority while being J1 of the Supreme court of India. He is also the former chief justice of Allahabad Highcourt and former judge of Bombay High Court.