Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022
Commonwealth Games is a member-based organization that receives no funding from the government and exists to administer, control and coordinate the participation of sports events and the athletes, along with the officials of the commonwealth games.
Commonwealth Games 2022 Medal Tally
The 2022 Commonwealth Games are officially known as XXII Commonwealth Games and are generally known as Birmingham 2022. The commonwealth games are a multisport event that is conducted internationally for the members of the Commonwealth it is going to be held in Birmingham, England from 28 July to 8 August this year. On 21st December 2017, Birmingham was announced as the host making England’s third time hosting the commonwealth games.
Commonwealth Games 2022: History
In 1881, a new idea of having multiple games at one sports event was introduced by Astley Cooper. The Commonwealth Games is also known as the Friendly Games. The Commonwealth Games are quadrennial which means it is held for four years. This game was known as British Empire Games from 1930 to 1950, from 1954 to 1966 it was known as British Empire and Commonwealth Games, and from 1970 to 1974 it was known as British Commonwealth Games. In 2002, Commonwealth Games was the first fully inclusive International multi-sports event as it was the first of its kind to allow Athletes with a disability to be included as full members of their national teams. The first Commonwealth Games (official) which was then known as British Empire Games were held in Hamilton, Canada, in 1930. In the first official Commonwealth Games, 11 countries participated in 59 events. There were only 6 sports included, athletics, boxing, aquatics, lawn bowls, rowing, and Wrestling.
Commonwealth Games 2022: Latest News and Updates
- The Indian team for Commonwealth Games consists of 322 members which include 72 team officials, 26 extra officials, nine contingent staff, and three general managers.
- The commonwealth games will begin on 28th July 2022 in Birmingham. Neeraj Chopra will lead the Athletics team this year.
- The hockey team of India will be led by Manpreet Singh.
- One of the most iconic highlights of Commonwealth Games 2022 is this year that Women’s Cricket is included in Commonwealth Games.
- The Sports Minister of India Kiren Rijiju writes to the MP of the UK to include shooting in the Commonwealth games 2022.
- India won no medal on the first day of Commonwealth Games 2022.
- On the second day of the Commonwealth Games, India got their first medal. Sanket Sargar won the first medal for India in 55Kg men’s weightlifting and won a Silver medal.
- Mirabai Chanu won the first gold in Commonwealth Games 2022 for India in 49Kg Women’s Weightlifting.
- Gururaja Poojary won a Bronze medal in 61kg men’s weightlifting, and in 55kg women’s weightlifting, Bindyarani Devi won the silver medal.
- Two gold medals were bagged by India in 67kg men’s weightlifting by Jeremy Lalrinnunga and in 73kg weightlifting by Achinta Sheuli.
- India is on 6th rank in the medal tally of Commonwealth Games 2022. Australia remains number 1 with 52 medal count.
22nd Commonwealth Games kicks off at Birmingham
Commonwealth Games 2022: India’s participation
On Thursday, the Athlete Federation of India, announces the names of 37 member Indian athlete teams which are going to be led by Neeraj Chopra, Olympic Champion Javelin Thrower, for the upcoming commonwealth games 2022. The 37-member Indian athlete team consists of 18 women out of 37. Under this, female athletes like Hima Das and Dutee Chand are also selected for the 4×400m women’s relay team. Avinash Sable is also in the team who broke his own 3000m Steeplechase national record for the eighth time. Jyoti Yarraji, who broke her own 100m hurdles record twice is also likely to be on the team. Other athletes like Aishwarya Babu, broke her record for a triple jump during the National Inter-state Championship in Chennai.
India places 33rd in the 2022 World Athletics
The AFI president Adille Sumariwalla said that the participation of Seema Punia in the Commonwealth Games will depend on her performance of her in the USA. He added that the AFI has allowed her to train and compete in the USA considering her passed results in the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. Seema Punia has kept the qualifying event for Commonwealth Games which were held from June 10 to June 14 National inter-state Senior Championship.
The AFI president said that “We are requesting the Indian Olympic Association to increase our quota by one and to assist in securing accreditation for a couple of athletes. We have also selected a few subjects to prove their fitness and form before the Games,”.
Tajinderpal Singh Toor, shot putter, will have to perform well in Kazakhstan to get selected for the Commonwealth Games 2022. Similarly, Navjeet Kaur Dhillon, Seema Punia, and Sarita Singh, hammer throwers, have to perform well in Kazakhstan or California to be in the team Commonwealth games. Tejaswin Shankar, the national record holder for high jump who won gold at the NCAA outdoor track and field championships 2022 in the US with the best performance of 2.27 m is not selected for the Commonwealth Games as he did not take part in the national inter-state and did not seek an exemption from the AFI.
Commonwealth Games 2022: Team India
- Avinash Sable (3000m Steeplechase)
- Nitender Rawat (Marathon)
- M Sreeshankar and Muhammed Anees Yahiya (Long Jump)
- Abdulla Aboobacker, Praveen Chithravel, and Eldhose Paul (Triple Jump)
- Tajinderpal Singh Toor (Shot Put)
- Neeraj Chopra, DP Manu, and Rohit Yadav (Javelin Throw)
- Sandeep Kumar and Amit Khatri (Race Walking)
- Amoj Jacob, Noah Nirmal Tom, Arokia Rajiv, Muhammed Ajmal, Naganathan Pandi, and Rajesh Ramesh (4x400m Relay).
- S Dhanalakshmi (100m and 4x100m relay)
- Jyothi Yarraji (100mHurdles)
- Aishwarya B (Long Jump and Triple Jump) and Ancy Sojan (Long Jump)
- Manpreet Kaur (Shot Put); Navjeet Kaur Dhillon and Seema Antil Punia (Discus Throw)
- Annu Rani and Shilpa Rani (Javelin Throw)
- Manju Bala Singh and Sarita Romit Singh (Hammer Throw)
- Bhawna Jat and Priyanka Goswami (Race Walking)
- Hima Das, Dutee Chand, Srabani Nanda, MV Jilna, and NS Simi (4x100m relay).
List of Countries in which Commonwealth Games took Place
FAQs related to Commonwealth games 2022
1. When are the commonwealth games 2022 in Birmingham?
Ans. The commonwealth games 2022 in Birmingham will start from 28 July to 8 August 2022, in England, UK.
2. What is the motto of the 2022 commonwealth games?
Ans. ‘Sports for All’ is the motto of the commonwealth games 2022.
3. What is new for women at the 2022 commonwealth games?
Ans. This year in 2022, the commonwealth games have included more medal events for women than men for the first time.