India has developed the first indigenously-developed RT-PCR kit for testing monkeypox disease. The kit is developed by Transasia Bio-Medicals, the kit was unveiled by Principal Scientific Adviser to the Centre Ajay Kumar Sood. The kit would help in early detection and better management of the infection which the WHO declared a public health emergency of international concern.
Monkeypox Virus: History, Outbreak, Symptoms
According to WHO:
- Monkeypox is a viral zoonosis — a virus transmitted to humans from animals — with symptoms similar to smallpox although clinically less severe.
- Monkeypox typically manifests itself with fever, rash, and swollen lymph nodes and may lead to a range of medical complications. It is usually a self-limited disease with symptoms lasting for two to four weeks.
- The ‘Guidelines on Management of Monkeypox Disease’ issued by the Centre stated that human-to-human transmission occurs primarily through large respiratory droplets generally requiring prolonged close contact.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Transasia Bio-Medicals Headquarters location: Mumbai;
- Transasia Bio-Medicals Founded: 1979.
Find More News Related to Science and Technology