Daniil Medvedev win Qatar Open title
Daniil Medvedev won the Qatar Open in his professional tennis debut by defeating Andy Murray 6-4, 6-4, in the final game between two former No. 1s. In every set, Medvedev converted quick beginnings. In the first, he got to 4-1, and in the second, he got to 3-1.
Daniil Medvedev win Qatar Open title: Key Points
- Murray retaliated, but Medvedev silenced him to win his 17th singles championship.
- Medvedev also triumphed in Rotterdam, extending his winning streak to nine games.
- Medvedev has now won 18 Tour-level championships after winning in Rotterdam last week as well.
- He got off to a great start and quickly settled into his baseline rhythm, winning the majority of the extended rallies and taking a 4-1 lead with two breaks of serve.
- Murray also fell behind in the second set but came back with a break of serve to win it.
- On Friday, Murray saved five match points against Jiri Lehecka to advance to his 71st ATP final.
Daniil Medvedev defeats Andy Murray to win Qatar Open title: Highlights
At 4-4 and 40-0, the three-time grand slam winner from Great Britain appeared to be winning, but Medvedev unexpectedly recovered his brick wall-like fortitude to rattle off five straight games, securing a critical service break as Murray misjudged a volley.
In the following game, former US Open winner Medvedev double-failed on his first match point, but when he had another chance against a worn-out Murray shortly after, a fantastic lob sealed the victory.
Qatar Open title: All Winners Category Wise
Following are all the winners of Qatar Open Category Wise:
|Qatar Open Winner Category
|Rohan Bopanna & Matthew Ebden
|Constant Lestienne & B. Van de Zandschulp
|Jessica Pegula & Coco Gauff
|Lyudmyla Kichenok & Jelena Ostapenko