Deepika Padukone will grace the Cannes Film Festival as a member of the jury, this year. The actress-producer has attended the prestigious film festival several times in the past, in the capacity of an ambassador of the beauty brand L’Oreal. The jury for the 75th edition of the film festival is headed by French actor Vincent Lindon, who won Best Actor at Cannes in 2015.
With her induction into the Cannes jury, Deepika Padukone has become a part of a select group of Indian stalwarts who served in the same role in the past, including Sharmila Tagore, Nandita Das, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, and Vidya Balan.
- Late filmmaker Mrinal Sen was the first Indian to serve as jury member of Cannes back in 1982.
- Salaam Bombay director Mira Nair was a member of the Cannes Film Festival jury in 1990.
- Author Arundhati Roy was a Cannes jury member for the festival’s 2000 edition.
- Former Miss World, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan was a member of the Cannes Film Festival jury in 2003.
- Director Nandita Das was a member of the Cannes jury in 2005
- Veteran actress Sharmila Tagore was invited by Cannes to be a member of the jury in 2009.
- Shekhar Kapur was a member of the Cannes Film Festival jury in 2010.
- Vidya Balan served on the jury for the Cannes Film Festival in 2013.