The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully carried out the Maiden flight of Autonomous Flying Wing Technology Demonstrator from Aeronautical Test Range at Chitradurga in Karnataka. The flight operated in a fully autonomous mode. The aircraft exhibited a perfect flight, including take-off, way point navigation and a smooth touchdown.
- The unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) powered by a small turbofan engine.
- It has been designed and developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), Bengaluru, one of the research laboratories of DRDO.
- The focus is now on Atmanirbhar Bharat in defence and the government has urged the armed forces to buy the indigenous platforms and less imports. This year in the Union Budget, Rs 70,221 crore has been set aside for domestic defence procurement, and this accounts for 63 percent of the defence capital budget.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- DRDO Founded: 1 January 1958;
- DRDO Headquarters: New Delhi;
- DRDO Chairman: G. Satheesh Reddy;
- DRDO Motto: Strength’s Origin is in Knowledge.