The launch of the e-SAKSHI mobile application marks a significant advancement in the administration of the Member of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) in India. This digital initiative, spearheaded by the Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), aims to transform the way MPs engage in and manage development projects within their constituencies.
Overview of MPLADS
MPLADS, established in 1993, is a central sector scheme fully funded by the Government of India. It allows MPs to recommend developmental projects with an emphasis on durable community assets, based on locally felt needs. Each MP is allocated Rs. 5 crores annually for these projects, which may include building infrastructure like toilets and bridges and providing essential services like drinking water and electricity. Before e-SAKSHI, the process was predominantly paper-based, leading to various administrative challenges.
E-SAKSHI Mobile Application
Key Features and Benefits
- Streamlined Fund Flow: The app is designed for a revised fund flow procedure under MPLADS, ensuring smoother and more efficient financial transactions.
- Real-Time Tracking: MPs can now track the progress of projects at every stage, from fund sanctioning to execution and completion, in real time.
- Geo-Tagging and Photographic Evidence: This feature prevents the occurrence of ghost projects by providing tangible proof of progress.
- Transparency and Accountability: With all project details available on the app, the risk of corruption is significantly reduced, fostering public trust.
- Improved Communication: The app allows direct communication between MPs, stakeholders, officials, and beneficiaries, ensuring that concerns are addressed promptly.
Challenges and Future Directions
While e-SAKSHI presents numerous advantages, it also faces challenges like bridging the digital divide in rural areas and ensuring the accuracy of data. Continued efforts are needed to train MPs and officials in effectively utilizing the app and possibly introducing offline functionalities for areas with limited internet access.
Impact on Governance
The introduction of e-SAKSHI under MPLADS is a leap towards digital governance, enhancing efficiency, transparency, and accountability in public administration. This aligns with the broader goals of the Indian government to incorporate technology in governance, as reflected in various schemes and initiatives across different sectors.
Important Questions Related to Exams
- What is the purpose of the e-SAKSHI mobile application in the administration of MPLADS?
- When was MPLADS established, and how is it funded?
- How does the e-SAKSHI app streamline the fund flow procedure under MPLADS?
- What features of e-SAKSHI enable real-time tracking of developmental projects?
- How does geo-tagging and photographic evidence contribute to the transparency of MPLADS projects?
- What challenges does e-SAKSHI face, and how can they be addressed, especially in rural areas?
- What role does the e-SAKSHI app play in reducing corruption risks and fostering public trust?
- How does the app facilitate direct communication between MPs, stakeholders, officials, and beneficiaries?
- In what ways does e-SAKSHI contribute to the broader goals of the Indian government for digital governance?
- What steps can be taken to ensure effective training of MPs and officials in utilizing the e-SAKSHI app?
Kindly share your responses in the comment section.