The Election Commission of India has set up a 2-member committee to examine the issue of revising the expenditure limit for candidates for Lok Sabha and assembly polls. The committee will comprise of Shri Harish Kumar, Ex. IRS and DG (Investigation), Shri Umesh Sinha, Secretary-General and DG (Expenditure). The need to set up this committee was felt in view of the increase in the number of electors and the rise in the Cost Inflation Index. It will submit its report within 120 days of its constitution.
The committee will be responsible for:
- To assess the change in the number of electors across the States/Union Territories and its bearing on expenditure.
- To assess the change in the Cost Inflation Index and its bearing on the pattern of expenditure incurred by the candidates in recent elections.
- To seek views/inputs of the political parties and other stakeholders.
- To examine other factors which may have bearings on expenditure.
- To examine any other related issue.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Chief Election Commissioner of India: Sunil Arora.
- Election Commission of India Headquarters: New Delhi.