The Election Commission of India (ECI) organized the Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) Consultation Workshop. As a part of this workshop, the Chief Election Commissioner, Sushil Chandra along with Election Commissioner Rajiv Kumar unveiled a new initiative. The main objective of the two-day workshop was to review State SVEEP Plans, conduct extensive deliberations on the important aspects of SVEEP and formulate a comprehensive strategy for future elections.
What is the SVEEP program?
- The SVEEP program is the flagship program of the Election Commission of India for voter education & awareness.
- The new voters would send a personalized letter from the Commission when sending out their Voter ID Cards.
- The package would include a Voter Guide for new voters, a congratulatory letter and a pledge for ethical voting.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Election Commission Formed: 25 January 1950;
- Election Commission Headquarters: New Delhi;
- First executive of Election Commission: Sukumar Sen.