The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) has recently issued a circular stating the removal of Aadhaar from the list of acceptable documents for proof of date of birth (DoB) for correction and updation purposes. This decision, effective from January 16, 2024, follows a directive from the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and aligns with the Aadhaar Act, 2016, which does not recognize Aadhaar as proof of date of birth.
Details of the Circular
- Date of Issue: The circular was issued on January 16, 2024.
- Directive Authority: This change comes in response to a directive from UIDAI as per Circular No. 08 of 2023.
- Rationale: The UIDAI emphasizes that Aadhaar is primarily an identity verification tool and not a proof of birth. This is supported by a memorandum from the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and a judgment by the Bombay High Court.
- Circular Reference: The circular is referred to as “Removal of Aadhaar from the list of acceptable documents as a Date of Birth Proof” and is in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedure on Joint Declaration issued in August 2023.
- Approval: The circular has received approval from the Central Provident Fund Commissioner (CPFC).
Alternative Documents for Date of Birth Proof
Following the removal of Aadhaar, the EPFO now recognizes the following documents for proof of date of birth:
- Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths.
- Marksheet issued by any recognized Government Board or University.
- School Leaving Certificate (SLC)/School Transfer Certificate (TC)/SSC certificate containing Name and Date of Birth.
- Certificate based on the service records of Central/State Government Organizations.
- Medical Certificate issued by Civil Surgeon (in absence of above documents), supported with an affidavit.
- PAN issued by the IT Department.
- Central/State Pension Payment Order.
- CGHS/ECHS/Medi-Claim Card issued by Government.
- Domicile Certificate.
Importance of the Circular
This change is significant for EPFO members and entities involved in date-of-birth corrections. They must now adhere to the updated document requirements for any corrections or updates to the date of birth in EPF accounts.
Takeaways for Exam Preparation
- EPFO’s Role: Understand the function and importance of the EPFO in the Indian financial ecosystem.
- UIDAI’s Directive: Recognize the role of UIDAI in regulating identity verification processes in India.
- Aadhaar Act, 2016: Familiarize with the provisions of the Aadhaar Act, 2016, especially regarding identity verification and its limitations.
- Alternative Documents: Memorize the list of alternative documents now acceptable for DoB proof in EPF accounts.
This information is crucial for exam preparation, especially for candidates appearing for Banking, SSC, Railway, State level, and UPSC exams, where questions about current affairs and organizational policies are common.
Important Questions Related to Exams
- On what date did the EPFO issue the circular regarding the removal of Aadhaar as a valid proof of date of birth?
- Which authority’s directive led to the EPFO’s decision to remove Aadhaar as a valid DoB proof?
- What is the circular number issued by UIDAI that influenced the EPFO’s decision?
- For what primary purpose is Aadhaar primarily used, as emphasized by UIDAI?
- Which ministry’s memorandum and court judgment were cited to support the decision to not consider Aadhaar as proof of date of birth?
- What is the title of the EPFO circular that removed Aadhaar from the list of acceptable DoB proof documents?
- Name one document now recognized by EPFO as valid proof of date of birth following the removal of Aadhaar.
- What type of certificate issued by a Civil Surgeon can be used as DoB proof without other documents?
- Which government-issued card, besides Aadhaar, is now accepted by EPFO for DoB correction?
- What type of order issued by Central/State Governments is valid for DoB proof in EPFO records?
- What is the role of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) in the Indian financial ecosystem?
- What is the significance of the Aadhaar Act, 2016 about identity verification?
Kindly share your responses in the comment section.