FIFA world rankings 2022:
FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association): FIFA has officially announced the 2022 world rankings, and Brazil hold on to their No. 1 spot and 22nd FIFA Men’s World Cup 2022 Champions Argentina ranked 2nd. Morocco has improved from 22nd to 11th in the FIFA world ranking, following their achievements at the 2022 FIFA Global Cup.
Why aren’t Argentina top?
Given the way FIFA calculates its rankings, Lionel Messi and Argentina were given points based on the strength of their recent opponents. Brazil have a total points tally of 1840.77, just over two points more than Argentina’s 1838.38. That means that Argentina will overtake Brazil after their next game if they win and Brazil fail to win.
Who are the big climbers?
- Morocco are the big winners as the Atlas Lions surged up 11 spots to 11th in the world. The job Walid Regragui did was sensational and they were the darlings of the 2022 World Cup.
- Japan also moved up four spots to 20th, while the USA and Switzerland each moved up three spots with the Americans ranked 13th in the world and Switzerland in 12th.
- Australia moved up 11 spots to 27th as the Socceroos shocked us all by reaching the last 16 at the World Cup, where they gave eventual champs Argentina a really tough game.
- Cameroon moved up 10 places to 33rd, thanks largely to their famous victory against Brazil in the group stage.
FIFA rankings top 10:
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- FIFA President: Gianni Infantino;
- FIFA Founded: 21 May 1904;
- FIFA Headquarters: Zürich, Switzerland.