FIFA WORLD CUP 2022
- FIFA‘s aim is to regulate and grow football worldwide. The organization has been swiftly evolving since 2016, into a body that can better serve our game for the benefit of everyone on the planet.
- The new FIFA is modernizing football in every manner possible to make it more global, accessible, and inclusive. Not just on a few continents, but around the globe.
- As part of our goal to make football truly global, we will help expand football worldwide so that at least 50 national teams and 50 clubs from all continents can compete at a high level.
FIFA WORLD CUP 2022 (QATAR)
The FIFA World Cup 2022 is set to be the 22nd edition of the quadrennial international men’s football championship, which will be contested by national teams from FIFA member countries.
- It will take place in Qatar from November 21 to December 18, 2022. This will be the first World Cup to be held in the Arab world, and the second World Cup to be held fully in Asia, following the 2002 tournament in South Korea and Japan.
- In addition, the tournament will be the last to feature 32 teams, with a 48-team tournament set for the United States, Mexico, and Canada in 2026.
- France is the current World Cup champion. Due to the extreme heat in Qatar during the summer, the World Cup will be held from late November to mid-December, making it the first tournament not to be hosted in May, June, or July; it will be played over a shorter period of time, roughly 28 days.
FIFA WORLD CUP 2022 SCHEDULE
FIFA WORLD CUP 2022 SCHEDULE: Prior to the completion of qualification, the final draw will be held in Doha, Qatar, on April 1, 2022. At the time of the draw, the two winners of the inter-confederation play-offs and the winner of Path A of the Second Round of the UEFA Qualifiers will be unknown.
- FIFA confirmed the match schedule on July 15, 2020. The first match, starring the hosts Qatar, will take place at the Al Bayt Stadium on November 21, 2022, at 13:00 local time (UTC+3).
- Four matches will be played each day during the group stage, with kick-off times of 13:00, 16:00, 19:00, and 22:00 for the first two rounds, and 18:00 and 22:00 for the final round and knockout round matches, respectively.
- The third-place match will be held at the Khalifa International Stadium on December 17, 2022, and the final will be held at the Lusail Iconic Stadium on December 18, 2022, both at 18:00.
- Unlike previous tournaments, where match venues and kick-off times were determined prior to the draw, group fixtures for each matchday will be assigned to a specific venue and kick-off time only after the group stage draw has been completed and the teams for each specific fixture have been determined. This could be owing to the venues’ close proximity, which will allow the organizers to optimize stadium allocation and kick-off times for broadcast audiences.
The following stadiums will host the group stage matches for each group:
- Groups A, B, E, F will be played at the Al Bayt Stadium, Khalifa International Stadium, Al Thumama Stadium, Ahmed bin Ali Stadium.
- Groups C, D, G, H will be played at the Lusail Iconic Stadium, Stadium 974, Education City Stadium, Al Janoub Stadium
FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association)
FIFA’s mission is to control and develop football around the world. Since 2016, the organization has been rapidly evolving into a body that can better serve our game for the benefit of everyone on the planet. In every way, the new FIFA is modernizing football to make it more global, accessible, and inclusive. Not just on a couple of continents, but all over the world.
We will help grow football everywhere so that at least 50 national teams and 50 clubs from all continents can participate at a top competitive level, as part of our aim to make football truly global.