World Athlete of the year awards:
World champion American hurdler Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone and Swedish pole vaulter Mondo Duplantis won the World Athlete of the year awards. McLaughlin-Levrone broke the world women’s 400m hurdles record twice while Duplantis set three new world highs this year. US-born Swede Duplantis claimed the award for the second time in three years with three world records in 2022 plus the men’s world indoor title in March and the world outdoor gold in July.
World Athletics also named Adriana Vilagoš of Serbia and American Erriyon Knighton their Rising Star of the Year winners. In 2022, Vilagoš recorded 15 top three finishes in 16 javelin competitions. She won silver at the multi-sport European Championships in Munich, and gold medals at the Mediterrean Games and World U20 Championships.
Earlier, World Athletics announced its other award winners, including:
- Confederacao Brasileira de Atletismo, Member Federations Award
- Katie Nageotte of the United States and Holly Bradshaw of Great Britain, Fair Play Award
- Martin Rickett, Photograph of the Year
- Ukranian Athletic Association, President’s Award
- Donna Fraser of Great Britain, Woman of the Year
- Gennadii Zuiev of Ukraine, Coaching Achievement Award.