Indian statutory insurance and investment corporation, Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) has broken into the latest Fortune Global 500 list. The nation’s biggest life insurer with revenue of USD 97.26 billion and a profit of USD 553.8 million, was ranked 98th on the just released Fortune 500 list. This is the first outing of LIC on the list, which ranks listed companies by sales.
Indian Companies ranking in the list:
- Reliance Industries jumped 51 places to 104 on the 2022 list. Reliance, with revenue of USD 93.98 billion and a net profit of USD 8.15 billion in the latest year, has been on the list for 19 years.
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) rose 28 places to 142nd rank while Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) climbed 16 places to 190.
- The list had two Tata group firms — Tata Motors at 370 and Tata Steel at 435th spot. Rajesh Exports at 437th rank was the other private Indian company on the list.
- State Bank of India (SBI) climbed 17 places to rank 236th and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd 19 places to 295.
- The list, topped by US retailer Walmart, has nine Indian companies — five of them state-owned, and four from the private sector.
- Walmart landed at No. 1 for the ninth straight year, trailed by Amazon, which reached its highest ranking ever. Chinese energy giants State Grid, China National Petroleum, and Sinopec rounded out the top five.
- For the first time, revenues from Global 500 companies in Greater China (including Taiwan) exceeded revenues from US companies on the list, accounting for 31 per cent of the total.