The central government has declared April 14, Dr BR Ambedkar’s birthday a public holiday. Dr B R Ambedkar was the sculptor of the Indian Constitution and the country already celebrates his birthday as Ambedkar Jayanti every year. The government has announced that from this year 14th April will be declared as a public holiday. It will be Ambedkar’s 130th birth anniversary on April 14, 2021.
About Babasaheb Ambedkar:
- Babasaheb Ambedkar’s original name is Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar.
- His father Ramji Sakpal was a Subedar in the army and his mother Bhimbai Kapal was a housewife.
- The family settled in Mumbai in 1897 and Babasaheb enrolled at Elphinstone High School. After matriculation, he took admission to Elphinstone College in 1907.
- He graduated from Bombay University in 1912 with a degree in Economics and Political Science. Babasaheb Ambedkar was a renowned social reformer and a Dalit icon, he spoke unequivocally against the inequality, injustice, and discrimination faced by the members of the Dalit community.
- Babasaheb Ambedkar died on December 6 in 1956. In 1990, he was posthumously awarded the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award.