Currently serving as the incoming Support Chair of GPAI, India is set to take on the Lead Chair position for GPAI in 2024. To showcase its commitment to the advancement of AI, India is hosting the Annual GPAI Summit from December 12 – 14, 2023. The event is anticipated to be inaugurated by the Hon’ble Prime Minister on December 12, 2023.
The Evolution of GPAI in AI Advancements
- The Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence (GPAI), established in June 2020, is a groundbreaking multi-stakeholder initiative. India is one of the founding members of GPAI in 2020.
- With a primary objective to bridge the gap between theory and practice in the field of AI, GPAI supports cutting-edge research and applied activities on AI-related priorities.
- Initially launched with 15 member countries, GPAI has significantly expanded its membership to include 28 member countries and the European Union.
Global Participation at the Annual GPAI Summit
- The Annual GPAI Summit is a gathering of senior-level government delegations from 29 member countries.
- In addition to government representatives, the Summit will welcome GPAI’s multi-stakeholder Experts’ Group, Global AI Experts, multilateral organizations, and other relevant stakeholders.
- This collaborative environment aims to foster international cooperation and knowledge exchange in the ever-evolving field of artificial intelligence.
Research Symposium: “Advancing Responsible AI in Public-Sector Applications”
- As part of the Annual GPAI Summit, the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), in collaboration with the Centre for Responsible AI (CeRAI) at IIT Madras, is organizing a Research Symposium.
- The symposium, themed “Advancing Responsible AI in Public-Sector Applications,” serves as a platform for academicians and researchers, both from India and internationally, to collaborate on responsible AI initiatives.
Two Tracks of the Symposium
- The Research Symposium comprises two tracks to ensure a high quality of discussion and outputs. The first track features invited expert speakers, while the second track, the conference shortlist track, includes submissions from a competitive call for papers.
- The symposium boasts the participation of distinguished scholars and practitioners from engineering and public policy fields.
- Representatives from renowned institutions such as New York University, Oxford University, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Carnegie Mellon University, and Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh, among others, will contribute to the discussions.
Call for Papers and Rigorous Selection Process
- The call for papers for the conference shortlist track was issued on July 24, 2023. An overwhelming response was received from researchers in over 36 countries.
- Submissions covered various topics, including Responsible AI principles, Algorithmic Accountability, and Explainability, Responsible AI Assessments, and more.
- Following a rigorous review process conducted by an eminent committee comprising members from academia, industry, and government, 11 submissions were selected for inclusion in the symposium.
Important Questions Related to Exams
Q. What is the Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence (GPAI)?
Answer: GPAI is a multi-stakeholder initiative launched in June 2020 to bridge the gap between theory and practice in AI. It supports cutting-edge research and applied activities on AI-related priorities
Q: How many member countries and entities were part of GPAI at its launch, and how has it grown since then?
Answer: GPAI was launched with 15 member countries. It has expanded to include 28 member countries and the European Union.
Q: What is the primary objective of the Research Symposium organized as part of the Annual GPAI Summit?
Answer: The Research Symposium aims to advance responsible AI in public-sector applications by providing a platform for collaboration and presenting actionable research on responsible AI to a global audience.