The Union Minister of Science and Technology, Harsh Vardhan has launched the ‘SERB – POWER’ schemes which aim to encourage and support emerging as well as eminent women researchers to undertake R&D activities in frontier areas of science and engineering. SERB-POWER stands for Science and Engineering Research Board – Promoting Opportunities For Women in Exploratory Research.
This scheme is formulated to mitigate gender disparity in science and engineering research funding in various S&T programs in Indian academic institutions and R&D Laboratories, to ensure equal access and weighted opportunities for Indian women scientists engaged in research and development activities.
The schemes have been launched to provide two categories of research support which are:
- SERB – POWER Fellowship
- SERB – POWER Research Grants
1. SERB – POWER Research Grants
This scheme will encourage emerging and eminent women researchers for the individual-centric and competitive mode of research funding. Under this, the funding will be under the following two categories:
Level I: The scale of funding up to 60 Lakhs for three years.
Level II: The scale of funding up to 30 Lakhs for three years.
2. SERB – POWER Fellowship
- The Power Fellowship scheme will identify and reward outstanding women researchers and innovators working in Indian academic institutions and R&D laboratories, holding Ph.D.degree in any branch of science and engineering.
- Fellowship of Rs. 15,000/- per month in addition to regular income.
- Research grant of Rs.10 Lakh per annum.
SERB is a statutory body under the Department of Science and Technology, GOI, established by an Act of the Parliament of India in 2009 (SERB ACT,2008).