The Indian Railways has introduced a new initiative called “Meri Saheli” to provide safety and security to women passengers during their train journeys. The Meri Saheli initiative has been launched by the Railway Protection Force (RPF) of Indian Railways.
Features of Meri Saheli Initiative
- A team of lady officer and staff have been formed under the new initiative, which will visit all passenger coaches of the train including ladies coaches, to identify women passengers.
- The team will note down their journey details like coach number and seat number, especially if a lady is travelling alone on the train.
- Passengers will be briefed about RPF Security Helpline Number 182, GRP Security Helpline Number 1512 as well as other precautions like, not to take food with strangers, buying food from only authorized IRCTC stalls, taking care of luggage, etc.
- Initially, the “Meri Saheli” initiative has been introduced in two trains namely Bandra Terminus-Amritsar Special and Mumbai Central-Jaipur Superfast Express.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Union Minister of Railways: Piyush Goyal.