The ICC T-20 Women’s World Cup is to begin in South Africa on 10th February 2023, with the opening match between the host team, South Africa and Sri Lanka. This is the first time that the ICC T-20 Women’s World Cup tournament is taking place in an African nation. The Indian team led by Harmanpreet Kaur will play their first match against Pakistan on 12th February 2023.
ICC T-20 Women’s World Cup Begins in South Africa- Key Points
- After the Indian team won the inaugural Women’s Under-19 T20 World Cup the women’s team is in high spirits.
- The launch of the Women’s Premier League (WPL), which saw huge valuations in both the media rights auction and the bidding for the ownership of the teams has also lifted the spirit of the Indian team.
- A total of 10 teams will fight for the Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 trophy and a total of 33 matches will be played during the mega event.
- The Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 will be played across three venues in South Africa — Newlands Cricket Ground (Cape Town), St George’s Park Cricket Ground (Gqeberha), and Boland Park (Paarl).
- The 10 teams are divided into two groups with all the teams playing each other in a round-robin format. The top two teams from each group will qualify for the semi-finals.
ICC T20 Women’s World Cup: Indian Squad
Harmanpreet Kaur (c), Smriti Mandhana, Shafali Verma, Yastika Bhatia, Richa Ghosh, Jemimah Rodrigues, Harleen Deol, Deepti Sharma, Devika Vaidya, Radha Yadav, Renuka Thakur, Anjali Sarvani, Pooja Vastrakar, Rajeshwari Gayakwad, Shikha Pandey.