A cargo ship named “Galaxy Leader,” en route from Turkey to India, has been hijacked by Yemen’s Houthi rebels in the Red Sea. Approximately 50 crew members from various nations were on board. The Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) confirmed the hijacking but clarified that the ship is not Israeli.
Hostage Release Negotiations between Israel and Hamas
- Hamas militants clashed with Israeli forces in Gaza’s largest refugee camp.
- Reports of a potential hostage release deal between Israel and Hamas, involving women and children.
- Denial of a tentative deal by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US officials.
- The Washington Post reported ongoing US-mediated talks for a five-day ceasefire to facilitate aid shipments.
- Earlier reports on Qatari mediators seeking a deal for a three-day ceasefire in exchange for 50 hostages.
- Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdulrahman al-Thani mentioned minor obstacles in the negotiations.
- Talks coincide with Israel’s preparations to expand its offensive in Gaza’s southern half.
Evacuation of Sick Babies and Medical Assistance
- WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced the evacuation of “very sick” babies and health workers.
- Transfer to a hospital in southern Gaza for urgent care.
Medical Support for Cancer Patients
- Hamas-run health ministry stated 351 cancer patients in Gaza will travel to Turkey for treatment.
- Turkish-Palestinian Friendship Hospital, the only oncology hospital in Gaza, was closed due to the Israeli ground assault.
Escalation of Israeli Offensive
Israel’s Next Steps
- Israel declares entering the “next stage” of the war, shifting attention to Khan Younis in the south.
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu indicates a relentless pursuit of Hamas leaders.
- Hamas reportedly loses contact with groups guarding hostages.
- US diplomat emphasizes the need for more hostages to be released for increased aid to Gaza and a pause in fighting.
- President Joe Biden threatens US visa bans on those attacking Palestinians in the West Bank.
- Ongoing Israeli bombardment raises the death toll in Gaza, with significant civilian casualties.