India has signed a key pact with the Philippines called “implementing arrangement” for “procurement of defence material and equipment”, as per which the country will buy the BrahMos cruise missiles from India. Philippine Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, who was also present at the pact’s signing ceremony in Manila.
About the BrahMos missile:
- The BrahMos missile is produced by an India-Russian joint venture “BrahMos Aerospace” and it can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or from land platforms.
- It is the fastest supersonic cruise missile in the world.
- Currently, the missile is used only by India, however, several countries including the Philippines, Vietnam, South Africa, Egypt, Oman, Chile and Brunei have expressed interest in the procurement of the missile.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- Philippines President: Rodrigo Duterte.
- Philippines Capital: Manila.
- Philippines Currency: Philippine peso.