The UN General Assembly adopted by consensus a resolution sponsored by India and supported by over 70 nations declaring 2023 as the International Year of Millets. The International Year of Millets is aimed at raising awareness about the health benefits of the grain and its suitability for cultivation under changing climatic conditions. India’s Permanent Mission to the UN also distributed savoury millet snack murukku to all UN Member States.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
About the resolution:
- The 193-member General Assembly unanimously adopted the resolution, declaring 2023 as the International Year of Millets.
- The resolution titled International Year of Millets 2023′ was initiated by India with Bangladesh, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, Russia and Senegal and was co-sponsored by over 70 nations.
- The resolution considers the urgent need to raise awareness of the climate-resilient and nutritional benefits of millets and to advocate for diversified, balanced and healthy diets through the increased sustainable production and consumption of millets.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- UN General Assembly President: Volkan Bozkır.
- UN General Assembly Headquarters: New York, United States.
- UN General Assembly Founded: 1945, New York, United States.