Government Leadership Award 2023
Groupe Speciale Mobile Association (GSMA) has conferred Government Leadership Award 2023 to India for implementing best practices in telecom policy and regulation. GSMA, which represents more than 750 mobile operators and 400 companies in the telecom ecosystem, recognizes one country every year. India was declared winner in the ceremony held at Mobile World Congress Barcelona.
Buy Prime Test Series for all Banking, SSC, Insurance & other exams
In a statement, GSMA said India’s biggest-ever spectrum auction for 5G was held in July 2022. In total, 72 GHz spectrum was sold across ten spectrum bands. The government lowered reserve prices by 39 per cent across the spectrum band. Seventy-one of all spectrum on auction was sold for $19 billion. All three mobile operators in India acquired spectrum in key 5G bands such as 700 MHz, 3.5 GHz and 26 GHz. To further support 5G rollouts, the government has also liberalised the spectrum cap limit for telecom operators, expanding their ability to hold more spectrum.
Following initiatives have been taken by India for improving telecom sector and infrastructure in the country-
- In India, RoW permissions which used to take more than 230 days, now get approval within 8 days.
- More than 85% mobile tower clearances are now instantaneous.
- With nearly 1 Lakh sites in 387 districts, India’s 5G roll-out is one of the fastest in the world.
- Indian telecom sector has emerged as a sunrise sector and the whole world has taken note of this rise.
- In India, several initiatives were carried out such as licensing reforms, creation of PM Gati Shakti Sanchar Portal, streamlining Right of Way (RoW), spectrum reforms, satellite reforms etc.
What is Mobile World Congress (MWC)?
Mobile World Congress (MWC) is an annual trade show and conference for the mobile telecommunications industry. The Mobile World Congress (MWC) event attracts representatives from mobile operators, device manufacturers, technology providers, and other players in the mobile industry. Exhibitors showcase their latest mobile devices, network infrastructure, software, and services. The MWC conference features keynote speeches, panel discussions, and educational sessions covering topics such as- 5G, Artificial intelligence, Internet of Things (IoT), and Mobile security.
Important takeaways for all competitive exams:
- GSMA Chairperson: Stéphane Richard;
- GSMA Headquarters: London, England, UK;
- GSMA Founded: 1995.
You may also read this:
- J&K won best adventure tourism destination award
- Computer scientist Hari Balakrishnan wins 2023 Marconi Prize