India became the only country to receive the Leadership in Family Planning (EXCELL) Awards 2022 in the ‘country category’ at the International Conference on Family Planning held in Thailand. India’s efforts in improving family planning demonstrate the progress the country has been making toward achieving the SDG targets on women and maternal health.
India won Excellence in Family Planning Leadership (EXCELL) Award 2022- Key Points
• The award recognizes and applauds India’s achievements in ensuring increased access.
• The adoption of modern contraceptive methods and significantly reducing the unmet needs for family planning..
• India has been making progress in improving access as well as in the adoption of modern contraceptive methods enabling couples to make informed choices about family planning.
• The overall Contraceptive Prevalence Rate has increased substantially from 54 percent to 67 percent in the country.
• The total demand satisfied for family planning among currently married women aged 15-49 in India increased from 66 percent in 2015-16 to 76 percent in 2019-21.