In accordance with paragraph 3.2.6 of Reserve Bank of India (Frauds, classification and reporting), the Reserve Bank of India fined the Indian Bank a total of Rs. 32.00 lakh (Rupees Thirty Two Lakh only) for failing to submit a Flash Report for frauds involving amounts of at least Rs. 5.00 crore (Rupees Five Crore) to the RBI as required by Section 47A(1)(c) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
- The Indian Bank has taken essential preventative and comprehensive measures to stop a repeat of this in the future.
- A notification was sent to the bank in response to this, instructing it to provide justification for not facing a penalty for failing to follow RBI instructions.
- This action is based on the regulatory compliance shortcomings and is not meant to rule on the legality of any deal or arrangement the bank has with its clients.
Important Takeaways For All Competitive Exams:
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikanta Das
- CEO of Indian Bank: Shri Shanti Lal Jain