‘Prasthan’ an Offshore Security Exercise was conducted by the Eastern Naval Command in the Offshore Development Area (ODA) off Kakinada. ‘Prasthan’ is a half-yearly exercise that was conducted in the KG basin to validate SOPs, address various contingencies and strengthen the command and control organization toward Maritime security.
Key Points related to Prasthan
- Prasthan was a two-day offshore security exercise.
- It aims to integrate the efforts of all maritime stakeholders involved in offshore defense.
- The exercise aims to refine the standard operating procedures (SOPs) and response actions to several contingencies in the Offshore Defence Area.
- The Prasthan exercise is conducted every six months and it is an important element of ensuring offshore security as per the Defence Ministry.
- The exercise was conducted onboard Drill rigs Platinum Explorer and DDKG of ONGC and RIL located about 40 nm south of Kakinada.
- Contingencies performed during the exercise include terrorist intrusion, bomb explosion, casualty evacuation, search and rescue, man overboard, major fire, oil spill, and mass evacuation.